Sunday, November 26, 2006

farewell, O hallowed gold card

Last year about this time, I received the most wonderful prize package a nerd like me could ever wish for - it was the SPADA new filmmaker of the year award, and it came with a whole bunch of stuff - cash, 10K of post, 10K of film hireage, travel. But by far the most hallowed prize of all was from Skycity Village Cinemas - a beautiful shiny Gold Card that promised free movies for a whole year (except after 5pm on Saturdays).

This wonderful, wonderful prize expires on December 10 - a date that I've been dreading since, like, July. No more will I be able to flash the card, and have the staff peer at it suspiciously, and talk in whispered tones into their walky talkies. No more will I be able to chose any crap film at will, watch it to pass the time, and wander out half way through to get to another meeting (yes, Underworld 2, I'm talking about you). No more looking at the film timetable and feeling that rare and satisfying pleasure of having seen all the good ones. No more, sweet gold card, no more.

I feel the need to sing a requiem:
(to the tune of Sinatra's It was a very good year)
When I was twenty-eight, it was a very good year
It was a very good year for B-grade trash and fairly good flicks
I'd skank extra tickets for of-like-mind mates
When I was twenty-eight.

Yes, yes, I would keep the day job, if I actually had one.

Breakfast:
one milo, with melted Dark Ghana (70%) chocolate
Verdict: yes, that was all, I was baking at the time, and had to rush off to a yum cha, so it wasn't like I was going to be hungry long... not too sure about Dark Ghana, think I'm too much of a sugar freak. Dark Block feels just right to me.

No comments: