Saturday, November 11, 2006

objects in the rear view mirror...

I just made an alarming discovery while driving home along the dark country road... when I look at myself in the rear view mirror with my headlights as the only light source... I look a bit like the scary blue lady from The Grudge!!!

I completely freaked myself out!

About that time, I also passed an abandoned car along the dark country road... then like 30 seconds later, passed a solitary hunched figure trudging in the dark. Being alone, and recently freaked out, I didn't stop. Later, I felt really bad about it - maybe the person really needed just a lift or a phone call. But I was alone, and it was past midnight... what do you do? From way back, my Dad would make sure I knew all the horror stories about people who stopped to help injured people on the road, then were murdered by enterprising villains who preyed on peoples' goodwill. As a result, I've become paranoid and suspicious of everyone. So much for giving people the benefit of the doubt. This saddens me because I think paranoia and suspicion contributes to the general badness in the world. If I was stuck on the country road with no transport and no communication, I would want help. I wouldn't start trudging down the road by myself in the dark, that's for sure, but I would want help.

Sigh.

And now for something completely without meaning!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs, dipped in a sprinkle of salt (I finally learnt how to boil eggs! This is not what you may think - I actually do the bulk of cooking here, including eggs - scrambled, fried, poached - just never boiled! Until now! Thank you eHow!)
A mug of ginger beer
Verdict: I was proud about the boiled eggs. They were mighty fine fresh from the pot. But all in all, a pretty weird breakfast. Wouldn't do it again. Ginger beer first thing makes my tummy a bit funny.

No comments: