Thursday, July 03, 2008

procrastination report 1

I just cried over an episode of Buffy (season 5, episode 6) - the one where Tara's family come to Sunnydale and try to claim her back. I looked at the episode breakdown, and was both surprised and not surprised to see that Joss Whedon had written and directed that one. It even had a young Amy Adams in there.

It's so great rediscovering a series that so many people scoff at without actually knowing what they're talking about - if they'd actually watched the thing they would realise just how complex the themes and threads are - religion and patriarchy and familial duty and platonic love and cultural and sexual difference among many other things (the power of true love, of course) - I'd forgotten what a rich and wonderful ride it all was. I cried even more when I realised what was to come in the later episodes - (spoiler ahead) - I remember mourning Tara more than Buffy's mum because there was so much more at stake - Willow and Tara were meant for each other, and the scriptwriters took that away from us, which was, I guess the only way that Willow could become grief-stricken and lose her cool and get all powerful and destructive...

I worked on the script all this morning until about 2pm this arvo, so I felt virtuous enough to watch an episode over lunch. But then, after 2 episodes, I'm here on the blog... hmm. Virtue meter not so hot right now.

At least something's being written around here. Back to the script!

breakfast:
milo and a nectarine.

verdict:
I've been feeling bad about the nectarine, being imported from California and all. It's not supposed to be very good, ecologically speaking. But it was sweet and delicious. Sigh.

No comments: