Saturday, January 06, 2007

I no slow!

I went to see The Lake House a few months ago with my friends, and when we came out, I was roundly ridiculed for not realising that the guy who died in the middle of the movie was Keanu Reeves. If you haven't seen the movie, then I apologise for the spoiler, but apparently it was transparent to everyone except me, so now you can feel good that when and if you see the film, you definitely won't feel dumb like I did (not that you would have anyway, because it's so obvious, stupid).

The genre of movie with the huge-profound-secret-that-isn't-revealed-until-the-big-finale (let's call it a 'puzzle film') works on me because I'm a bit slow. OK? Fine, I admit it. There's a certain film nerd machismo about seeing these films, knowing there's a secret, and working it out before the film decides to spell it out for you. I tried with The 6th Sense. I didn't make it. Obviously The Lake House was a bust, though I wasn't really looking for one. I tried with Fight Club. Now there was a hard one. The person who saw that coming is either lying or has insomnia that manifests as (among other things) an anarchistic imaginary friend. Who may or may not look like Brad Pitt. We should all be so lucky. Or not, on second thoughts.

Anyway, I tried with Memento. No dice.

And I just saw The Prestige.

Dear Mr Nolan, thank you for making me feel I no slow. I saw it coming a mile away! I watched it inch towards me, and I yawned in exhilaration! Hah! Never before have I felt such film nerdy happiness, and with the added bonus of Christian Bale... times two! Swoon! Swoon again!

By the way, I have thought about the possibility that maybe The Prestige was a film that hid its secret poorly. I don't agree. Even if the secret was obvious, it had extra layers to it that made it rich. Christopher Nolan is still a king of puzzle films in my book, and I didn't care that I saw it coming, it was still a fine film. If you don't believe me, ask the reviewers at The Onion, whose opinion I will always trust. And if you think I'm biased because of the Bale factor, you'd be wrong. One shit film can destroy any solid crush forever - it's happened before, and it'll happen again. (Please not to him though).

Breakfast:
Milo and Peanut Butter Toast.

Verdict:
I think this is my standard breakfast. It's alright - it's still not what I'm really into, but most days, it'll do. Milo, though not the most fancy drink in the world, tastes good to me for sentimental reasons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like puzzle films try 'The Crying Game" if you haven't already seen it. I can say that I definately didn't see that ne coming

Unknown said...

Christian bale, yummy.
My latest breakfast craze is kellogs's just right cereal with yoghurt. Yummo.

Saw your dvd at the warehouse and really wanted to buy it but alas, I'm a poor student. Will wait till I have some money.

any updates since the film?

roseanne said...

ah, poor student-dom - I know it well. Thanks for the thought!

As for udpates.. well, I made an epilogue which is on the DVD (sorry, don't mean to rub it in!).. let's just say things are pretty good right now, and I'm hoping that everything will be so boringly hunky dory that I'll never have to make a doco to deal with all my emo stuff again!

Kellogg's Just Right, eh? Hmm.. try, why not?

Anonymous said...

hey! this is your cousin, laurie :). uncle henry was talking about your blog at lunch today (im right now in a boarding school in portland) and i decided to check it out. so yeah, just dropping by to say hi.